water bottling plant
How Much Does It Cost to Start a Water Bottling Company
Are you interested in starting a water bottling company or sell bottled water but you don’t know how much the entire project will cost you? Then below is an in-depth cost analysis for starting a bottled water production company.
A popular question that people ask when they want to set up a bottled water company is “how much do I need to start?” This is a very smart question because when you have an idea of what you need to set up the business, you would be able to decide on whether you have what it takes to start the business or not. You would also be able to plan for alternative sources of funding in case you do not have adequate capital.
So how much does it take to start a bottled water company? Let’s take a look at some of the tools and equipment you would need and the general market prices of these equipment’s-:
- RO Plant Estimate Price: R 100k
- Bottle Blowing Machine
200ml to 2000ml
Estimate Price: R 300K with 1 Blower
R 350K with 2 Blowers
R 50K for Mould Chiller
- Rinser – Filler – Capper
Linear Type Machine
Estimate Price: R 350K
Up To 2000 Bottles Per Hour
Estimate Price: R450K
- Labeller Estimate Price: R 100K
- Date Coder Estimate: R 120K
- Shrink Machine Estimate: R 120K
This is generally a reverse osmosis system plant setup that has been recommended to you according to the raw water (borehole, river, dam, sea, municipality) quality.
Such can only be recommended through a water analysis results certificate of the raw water issued to you by a SANAS accredited Lab. The results will help determine the treatment system required to purify the water to drinkable standards.
The plant's basic setup is as follows:
a) Raw Water Tank
This is basically where you will store your untreated water that will be taken through the pretreatment system and through the water purification system.
b) Raw Water Pressure Pump
For the water to be able to pass through the pretreatment system, a pressure pump push three bars or more of pressure is required.
c) Basic Pretreatment
- Sand Filter
A sand filter is used to capture all the suspended solids in your raw water and also helps reduce the turbidity in the water.
- Carbon Filter
A carbon filter is used to reduce/remove bad taste, bad odor and also remove treatment chemicals like chlorine used to kill bacteria in the raw water.
- Water Softener
A water softener is used to reduce/remove hardness in the water.
It is made up of salt and cation resin. The resin is used to soften the water and the salt is used to regenerate the resin every time the system backwashes.
Reverse Osmosis is a very fine filtration process, which occurs at a molecular level. The process involves forcing water through a semipermeable membrane, which allows only a given size of the molecule to pass and rejects the rest. In effect, the pores or holes in the membrane are so small that most of the harmful minerals and chemicals cannot pass, while water molecules pass through. The rejected water carrying the minerals in a high concentration is drained off through the wastewater pipe, and the pure water is diverted to the storage tank for drinking.
e) Pure Water Storage Tank
You will need a storage tank to store the purified water for use in bottling. This helps preserve the system’s pump lifespan. The tank will have an electrical float switch that communicates with the RO System and sends data to the system when the tank is full or when it needs to be refilled.
f) Pure Water Pressure Pump
For the water to fill up faster in the bottles, you will need to be feeding the Rinser, Filler, Capper system with high water pressure. This will be done by the pressure pump.
02. Semi-Automatic Bottle Blowing Machine
- Stretch Blow Moulding Machine is suitable to produce differently shaped bottles from PET tube. It is widely used to produce Mineral water carbonated drink, candy sauce, juice, medicine, cosmetic and oil bottle etc.
- The machine adopts revolving infrared pre-heater. It ensures extremely even heating for PET preforms.
- The machine uses mechanical-double-arm mould clamping which ensure the mould be closed tightly even in high pressure.
- The air system has been divided into two parts: Pneumatic action part and bottle blowing part.
- It can provide sufficient and steady high pressure for blowing irregularly shaped large bottles.
- The machine is also equipped with a silencer and an oiling pump to reduce noise and friction.
- The machine can be operated in the step-by-step mode and the semi-auto mode.
- The machine is small with low cost, easy and safe to operate. And it meets the need of beverage manufacturer, polyester bottle producer in city and countryside and is ideal bottle blowing equipment for water bottle.
- Structure and functions
Main machine: composed of machine body, closing structure, sealing stretching, and blowing machine, all together four parts.
- Closing structure is composed of fixed mould plate, moving mould plate, cylinder, and double bending arms and connecting poles. The air source is controlled by the helping of the connecting poles and double bending arms; the plates open and close thereby.
- The sealing stretching is controlled respectively by two left/right cylinders independently, conducting left and right stretching and sealing. It is also controlled by two solenoid valves of two position and five routes. They can adjust the air blowing retention time of the two cylinders respectively.
- The air source comes from the second level filter first, and then goes to two big size two-position-three-routes solenoid valves to blow high-pressure air to make bottles from perform.
- The operation screen is installed with microcomputer controller. It has LCD displaying function, manual or automatic functions switches. They control the time of opening and closing of mould, sealing stretching and blowing. Easy and convenient to operate.
- Usage and Character
4Cavity semi blow molding machine is the new equipment which produces plastic hallow containers of PET. It has the advantages of energy-saving, small size, low investment, (fast money back), efficient, and reasonable structure and is widely used in food, medicine, cosmetic, pesticide-killer, chemical and beverage packaging industries.
- Equipped with microcomputer control, easy to operate.
- Heating part is IR heating tube, controlled by imported controlling silicon. The moving part is equipped with three phases motor, and drived by frequency changing part.
- There are left and right cylinders in sealing stretching part. the stretching length can be adjusted automatically, and the time for air blowing can be adjusted freely. the bottle blowing can benefit from doing so.
- The waste air can be exhausted from a silencer inside the machine. It reduces the possibility of creating water drop, and is prevented from making noise.
- There are two air storage barrels inside the main machine and one high, one low, pressure-reducing valve.
03. Rinser – Filler – Capper
- Linear Rinser-Filler-Capper
Filling bottle specification: 250ml-1500ml. (Up1500ml bottle machine need to customize, not need premium)
Filling bottle size: (unit: mm)
Bottle height: 150~235mm
Our company’s small bottled water bottling line automatic accomplishes the whole process from washing, negative pressure, filling, settle cap, buckle cap till screw cap.The whole production line
Auto Bottle Washer
QS-12 Model Auto Bottle Washer is manufactured on the base of absorbing foreign advanced technology by our company. It has advantages of the high auto level, compact structure, reasonable design, beautiful appearance, simple regulation, and others. It is ideal equipment for washing polyester bottles of middle-small drink production enterprises.
This machine adopts YCT112-4A electromagnetic governing motor. The transmission drives the rotary table on which the gripping bottle devices are fixed. The bottle gripping device rotates with the rotary table. The bottle is rotated into the bottle entrance section with the bottle entering the device. The gripping device grips the bottle to make the bottle enter the washing section. The bottle is made to stand up-bottom under the help of the track.
The washing valve opens and the washing liquid enters the bottle. Firstly, it is washed with the sterilizing agent, then with fresh water. After it is washed twice, the bottle is driven out by the driving wheel of bottle exit under the help of the track. The bottle washing is finished.
The machine must be installed vertically and horizontally.
- The fresh water pipeline and the blow-off pipe.
- The motor wires jointing must meet the rotation direction marked on the machine, Forbid the rotary table rotating in opposite direction.
- Lose the fixing bolts of the upper and lower tightening rings. Adjust the nuts on the rotary main shaft according to the height of the bottle. The gripping bottle cam is adjusted to the middle position.
- Joint the power switch of the sterilizing liquid and the fresh water inlet pumps, then joint the switch of the main motor, rotate the governing button to adjust the rotary speed. Watch if the machine runs smoothly. If all is OK, the bottle can be put into tray operation.
- If different diameter bottles are used, the entrance and exit driving wheel and their arc-plate concerned must be exchanged. At the same time, the distance between the two baffle plates on the entrance and exit tracks is also adjusted to the proper position.
- Before each shift works, all of the sections must be checked. If some parts loosen or other troubles are found, they must be resolved, then the machine can be started.
- All gears and guideway, cam 12 must be filled with consistent grease 2～3 times each week.
- The lubricant in FCO-80 worm gearing must be exchanged after the device is used first for 1000 hours. The lubricant is 120～150＃ industrial gear oil. Later, it is exchanged once half a year.
- After each shift goes off work, do some cleaning and filling oil in each running section.
- Before a new machine is started, first the power source of the water pump must be jointed, then one of the main motors is jointed.
- If there is leach in some side of the rotary valve, please adjust the top bolt to make the rotary valve pressing tightly.
- If the driving wheel of entering and exiting bottle misplaces, adjust the position which makes the gripping bottle device aiming at the driving wheel.
CY Normal Pressure filler
CY Series Normal Pressure Filler produced by our factory is used to fill all kinds of bottles (as a glass bottle, PET bottle, etc.) with all kinds of drinks (as wine, sauce, vinegar, juice, water, etc.). It is connected into a line together with the screw capping machine. This machine has advantages of advanced and compact structure, beautiful appearance, easy maintenance. It is an ideal filling equipment for beverage industries.
This machine works with the effect of atmospheric pressure. The liquid level in the liquid cylinder is controlled by buoy’s lifting adjustment. The scale of the liquid level is 0~50mm.
- The working ground of the machine should be adjusted to an even level.
- The footings of the machine should be fixed tightly to avoid shaking or shifting.
- First, check if the installation is qualified to the requirement and the connection with the front and back convey is smooth.
- First, connect the motor and liquid pump and test it once to see if the direction is correct. If something wrong, find the reason and remove it.
- Test the liquid cylinder supplying control. The liquid difference in 30~50mm is proper. If the liquid level is high, the upper proximity switch works and stop the liquid pump. If the liquid level is low, the nether proximity switch works and the liquid pump starts to operate.
- Make a filling test, when all work filling quantity is qualified, input the cleansing liquid, try filling while cleaning all the liquid convey pipes and cylinder.
- Add necessary lubricant into the activated parts and test the machine.
- Before operating the machine, check no loosening in each part.
- Start the machine to see if it work smoothly and if every work position is in the right position.
- After stopping the machine, clean and dry it.
- Add lubricating grease into the gears under the work table, add lubrication oil in other parts.
Common Trouble and Removals
- If the bottle input and output is not smoothy, adjust the distance of the thumb wheel, arc plate, and baffle.
- If the work position is not correct, check if the nut is loose, tighten it.
- If the filling liquid level changes, adjust the height of the air exhaust pipe. If the “O” ring loses its effect, change the new one.
FXZ-1 Screw Capper
The Screw Capper is widely used for capping all kinds of plastic or glass bottles of gas containing drink or no gas drink.
It has the advantages of a reasonable mechanical structure, stable in moving, good in feature, easy operation, and maintenance, widely used. So it is the necessary equipment for drink producers.
The Screw Capper has the bottle in & out device, can be matched with other machine of the drink production line, and should be tested as the user’s bottle samples and cap samples before carrying out of the factory.
- When the bottle diameter is changed, change the bottle in&out block, and the main shaft pushing wheel.
- When the bottle height is changed, adjust three column’s height by nut and the main shaft height by locking the wheel.
- If the cap screws too loose in the bottle, adjust the distance between the screw capping head and the bottle mouth thumb wheel. The more distance, the less pressure; the less distance, the more pressure. When adjusted to the most suitable position, screw tightly. If the capping screw is too long to break the cap, dismantle the screw capping head, fix the aiming stick to aim with the bottle mouth thumb wheel. If it is still breaking the cap, just adjust the 3 adjustable screws of the screw capping head.
- For the plastic cap, the capping head should be ordered according to the user’s cap size. See the drawing.
- Every day check the locking nut 2 and micro-adjustable screw 3 on the capping head, tight them.
- Each shift, add the mechanical oil(30#) in the center shifting shaft on the capping head.
- Each shift, oil the gear and worm gear.
- Each shift, oil the shaft of the knife plate and knife rod, and the roller of the knife rod.
- Monobloc Filling Line
3-IN-1 Automatic water bottling machine collects washing, filling and capping together. It is mainly suitable for washing filling and capping round or square polyester bottles. It is researched and developed on the base of importing, assimilating and absorbing the advanced technology of Germany in 1995. Finished bottled water is driven by the transmission motor. It is high automation, compact structure, beautiful appearance, convenient and simple operation, safe and reliable, continuous stable production and others. It is mainly used for washing, filling, and capping non-gas liquid, such as mineral water, pure water. It consists of bottle lifter, bottle unscrambler, air conveyor, rinser-filler-capper monobloc, cap lifter, light checking box. Besides, our water filling equipment is able to meet different production requirements.
- The rotary wheel is a fully AISI304 stainless steel welded structure.
- The high efficiency atomizing spray nozzle installed on bottle clamp incorporating technology is capable of cleaning any part of bottle inner wall, and also saves rinsing water.
- Covering of bottle clamps and elevator are product of IGUS
- The rinser is driven by driving system positioned inside machine frame via gear transmission.
- The filler providing hardware guarantee for securing product quality and reducing loss.
- Rotary wheel are fully made of stainless steel AISI304.
- Filling valves are designed and manufactured with German technology, made of AISI316L, featuring high filling accuracy and high filling speed.
- Bottles are raised and lowered by cam controlled lifting cylinder. Valve opening mechanism is actuated by air cylinder.
- All sliding bushes of lifting device use Igus (Germany) anti-corrosion maintenance free bearing.
- The capper is most precise part in 3 in 1 filling machine, it care about final bottled water product quality.
- The cover track has the device to prevent the reversal cover from passing and pick out the reversal cover. Meanwhile the photoelectric switch can stop the machine automatically when there is no cover on the track, by which it can avoid bottle without cover effectively.
- It also has the bottle check-up switch. Together with cylinder on the joint of the cover track and cover lift, they can control the cover flow and stop it in case no bottle to reduce the quantity of cover.
- Highly effective acentric way for cap sorting to reduce the abrasion.
- It has the check-up device to control the cover lift.
4. Semi-automatic Shrink Labeling Machine
(Steam Shrinking Tunnel & Steam Generator)
Our shrink packaging tunnel is designed for shrinking labels on a wide range of sizes and shapes of bottles and jars. The finished application is smooth, without ripples. It is typically used in packaging beverages, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and chemicals forming a seal over the cap and bottle to protect consumers.
Steam Shrinking Tunnel
- Long-life stainless steel heaters
- Adjustable shrink temperature, up to 250° C
- Electronic control of temperature and conveyor speed
- Tunnel height is adjustable to match different production lines
Input Power Supply of Blower: 220VAC 0.75KW
Input Power Supply of Steam Generator: 380V/50HZ
Working Pressure: ≤0.1Mpa
Steam Consumption: 10-20KG/H
External Dimension(L*W*H): 1800 × 405 × 1700mm
Automatic steam generator using copper high pressure potential vortex pump entering the water. Water supply time is short, durable. The water tank is provided with a liquid level float ball which automatic control water inlet. The working system is fully automatic control system, connected to water, the working efficiency is very high.
Input Power supply: 380V
Input Power: 18KW
Steam Pressure: 0.25 0.4Mpa
Vapor Generation Value: 18-20Kg/h
External Dimensions: 650L×720W×1480H
05. Videojet Ink Jet Printer
Simpler operation. Less maintenance. Superior print quality. The Videojet is engineered to keep the water bottling line up and running longer.
Designed for customers who print six hours to eight hours per day, five days per week, the Videojet Continuous Ink Jet printer provides up to 9,000 hours of production before required preventive maintenance. It is specifically designed to meet basic coding and production applications across a wide range of substrates. It is ideal for single to multiple shift applications, operating at moderate line speeds.
- Advanced core technology includes all ink system filters and common wear parts
- Intervals of up to 9,000 hours between preventive maintenanceneed for external air, minimizing potential
for contaminants to enter the ink stream
- Auto cleaning printhead for fast start-ups, even after extended shutdowns
- Optional internal air pump eliminates
- Multiple passwords protected access levels to system control menus help avoid unintentional input errors
- Storable print messages with pre-set and calculated fields minimize required user input
- Easy Videojet CLARiSOFT and CLARiSUITE integration allows for remote control of advanced code functionality
- Ideal solution for a range of slow to moderate speed applications
- Print 1 to 5 lines of print for a range of coding needs
- Smart CartridgeTM fluid delivery system to virtually eliminate spills and help ensure the correct fluids are being used
- Bright display with WYSIWYG and function keys for easy operation
- Store up to 100 complex messages for easy recall – store even more messages using a standard USB memory stick
- User levels to separate operation from installation and maintenance
06. Pneumatic Sleeve Wrapper
Sleeve wrapper is simple, the function is complete, it includes pushing, sealing, cutting, package in one operation, it is high automatically, the operator just need do a little job. This machine possesses several advantages, such as simple operation, quick sealing, sealing effect is beautiful and durable.
Purpose and CharacteristicsBZJ-5038B is suitable for Working with BSE Series and BS Series shrink tunnel, It uses the PE, POF, PP, PVC etc as packing material, the object will go into the tunnel directly after sealing and cutting, so the work efficiency was heightened and the electricity consumption was reduced. The main part of the machine is imported from international famous company, the motion-performing parts adopt high-grade pneumatic component, so the operation becomes very simple, the capability is stable, the malfunction seldom happen, the lifetime is long, it can work continuously for a long time, so it can meet the requirement for large production. One trait of the machine is, the machine adopts AC motor for straight operation. The object packaged by this machine, have followed advantage: good looking, neatness, dustproof, dampproof, prevent from broken, easy for carrying and store. The consumption of the product is lowered, and possessing a package cost advantage. The machine adopts advanced technician to protect the operator.
- Max. packing dimension: L450 × W270 × H330mm
- Min. packing dimension: L250 × W60 × H140mm
- Power: 220～240V, 50-60HZ,1.6KW
- Packing speed: 0-8pcs/minute
- Load of pushing board: 20kg
- Film thickness: 0.03-0.25mm
- Dimension: L1020 × W830 × H1980mm
- Machine Weight: 170kgs
- Film Thickness: 0.03-0.25mm
Structure & Parts
- Upper film tube
- Oriented circle of the upper film tube
- Locking hand-wheel for balance
- Roller for drawing film
- Locking screw for regulation pole
- The pole for regulating roller
- The roller for protecting film
- Vertical pushing board
- Down roller for protecting film
- Down tube
- Oriented circle of the down tube
- Hand-wheel for regulating the elasticity of the upper film
- sealing air-cylinder
- The frame of regulating
- Control board
- Hand-wheel for regulating the elasticity of the down film
- Depressive air-cylinder
- The straight-line pushing board
- Silica gel strip
- Hand-wheel for regulating rods
- Pushing air-cylinder
A DETAILED COST ANALYSIS FOR STARTING A WATER BOTTLING PLAN
1. A business plan-: A detailed business plan is the most important tool that you would need to start your business. It would give you a clear idea of what you want to achieve and just how much capital and skills you need to achieve this. A business plan would cost you anywhere from R2000 if you write it yourself, to R10 000 if you are hiring a professional to perform a full scale feasibility study, market research and business plan writing. However, it is advisable for you to choose the most cost effective means to avoid incurring excessive expenses.
2. Registration of business-: You would also need to register your business name, obtain a bottled water production business license and maybe incorporate your company. Amounts needed to do this varies country by country and you may also need to pay a lawyer to handle the business registration on your behalf but a good sum to budget for this expense is R1,000.
3. Registration with health regulatory agencies-: If you are starting your bottled water company in Nigeria for instance, you will need to register, obtain a license and an identification number from the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) before you can be allowed to operate your business. For those in South Africa, the SANBWA is the government agency that is responsible for giving out licenses for water related businesses.
4. Renting/Building a Factory-:Depending on how much financial resource at your disposal, you may decide to build your own bottled water factory or rent out a space but if you decide to rent, you must ensure that the facility is neat and conducive and not shared with any residential building. Depending on your country, any amount between R10 000 and R50 000 would be sufficient to cover this cost.
5. Water supply-: You would need a good source of water supply. This is also dependent on the type of water you plan to be producing. If you choose to produce spring water, then you would need to locate your production facility very close to a natural spring and look for a way to transfer the water from the spring to be water bottling plant to be bottled immediately at source. For other types of water, you may need to dig a borehole, a well or use a public water source. A good amount to set aside for this expense is R2,500. Again, this is dependent on your country and your specific needs.
6. Generating set/power supply: You may also need an alternative source of power to guarantee access to water supply especially if you are setting up in a developing country where power supply is not constant. You should also consider cheaper sources of power like solar or wind energy to save energy costs in the long run.
7. Water treatment plant-: You would also need to figure out how to make the water cleaner and safe for drinking without giving it a bad taste or excessively stripping it of its natural minerals. A water treatment plant would cost you about R20 000- R1 000,000 to set up, depending on size and functions.
8. Mineral injection facility-: Since some water treatment processes strip water of its natural minerals, most bottled water companies look for a means of injecting the minerals back into the water artificially. Again, this may cost you about a thousand dollars.
9. Automatic bottle washers-: To ensure that your water is produced under clean and highly hygienic conditions, it is advisable for you to invest in automatic bottle washers which would be used to clean the bottles prior to packaging water in them in order to get rid of chemicals and all forms of impurities.
10.Water bottling plant-: You can import an automatic water bottling plant from China for between R30,000 and R60,000. This would be used to package the water without stress.
11. Labels-: You would also need to spend some money on labels for your bottles. You can get someone to make the labels for you easily. You should budget about R0.20-R0.50 for the first batch, depending on how many bottles you want to roll out.
12. Distribution trucks-: Another very important asset that you would need is a truck for distributing your products. You can buy a fairly used truck if you cannot afford a new one but make sure it is branded with your company name and logo and is kept clean ad covered at all times.
13. Consumables-: You would also need some consumable items like bottles, caps, wrapping sheets, P.E films and packaging supplies.
14. Marketing and promotional materials-: Of course, you would need to promote your brand so it is important that you add up costs of advertising your water brand, costs of printing flyers and business cards and costs of other promotional materials and activities.
15. Staffing-: You would definitely need to staff to successfully run your business. You would need machine operators, people to pack and upload produced water, clerical staff, maintenance officers, drivers and marketers.
16. A website-: Getting a website for your bottled water production business is not a bad idea either. It would help you to increase awareness for your products and also make your customers have access to you and learn why your own brand of bottled water is the best option for them.